The Trail: How SHABBA Joined Amazulu
Posted: 20 October 2020
DSTV Premiership side Amazulu Football Club arguably made the signing of this window yesterday after revealing World Cup participant Siphiwe Tshabalala as their new player.
The charasmatic, often shy Shabba was unveiled as Usuthu’s new arrival yesterday in a glittering event at Hilton Durban, and The Beautiful Game takes you through how the deal came about;
- The 36-year-old midfielder last played competitive football last year when he left his Turkish team Erzurumspor when they were relegated from the league.
- His club, Erzurumspor were desperate to keep hold of him and offered him a new deal, which he rejected.
- The star returned to South Africa and trained on his own to keep fit until he signed for a Chinese club in March, and unfortunately, with the world pandemic rapidly growing in China, the deal was put off and he continued with individual training.
- A couple of PSL clubs were interested in signing him, particularly Highlands Park, but the player felt he could only ply his trade for the Phefeni Glamour Boys if he ever returned to this league, at the time.
- Talks began between his business manager to have Shabba back home at Kaizer Chiefs, where the club’s boss, Kaizer Chincha Guluva Motaung was keen on his return, however, with the club under FIFA’s transfer ban, the deal couldn’t materialise.
- A fortnight ago, when Usuthu were under new ownership enquiries began to have the illustrious winger sign for Amazulu and all contracts were signed and sealed this past weekend.
- His manager, Jazzman Mahlakgane flew to Durban yesterday just before 09:15am to be part of the mercurial winger’s unveiling.
Our source, very close to the player, said to us;
- “Shabba really wanted to return to Chiefs; listen Karabo, Ntate. Motaung loves Shabba and he loves Chiefs, he knows the club, the culture, the tradition, the ins and outs of the club, he is like a fabric of Chiefs but flop ke di ban (but the problem is the ban) and he needs to play,” concluded our source.
Yesterday, the player, among others, including Luvuyo Amigo Memela, Augustine Diego Mulenga were exposed to the media for the first time.
Selebalo Karabo Phasha.